When I wanted to start my own blog I was completely overwhelmed and a bit scared. I had no idea where to start and it was unclear what kind of investment I needed to make to get started. I read dozens of posts from established bloggers who were making anywhere from $50 to $100,000+ a month! To be honest, I didn’t believe it. It sounded too good to be true. Why doesn’t everyone blog then if there is that kind of earning opportunity?
I was 80% skeptical and 20% intrigued so I continued to research. I started an excel spreadsheet where I started to jot down tips and patterns. It finally occurred to me why more people aren’t blogging. It is actually a lot of work! Also, it can be very overwhelming when you don’t know where to start. I saw many posts like how I quit my job and blog full time and I wondered how could anyone spend that much time blogging? It doesn’t seem time consuming. Ha! That all changed when I took that leap of faith and started my own blog!
To date, I have invested a total of $149 and countless hours to get my blog established and start earning money. My initial investments included hosting services from Bluehost (I signed up for 3 years) and a premium theme to ensure my blog looks professional and stands out. I started my blog in October of 2017 and have earned over $1000. Check out my latest post where I share my sources of blog income.
THE STEPS I TOOK
Below is a list of the steps I have taken so far to get to where I am at today with my blog. You can also find all of my blog related posts here. I intend to keep writing posts that include the specifics on each one of these steps. This is why you will see some of the steps below are linked to posts and some are not as I have to write those still. If you have any specific questions, feel free to reach out to me through my contact page or any social media platforms. I would love to help and will do my best to answer in a timely manner. I will continue to keep this list up to date as I learn more!
- Research blogging to see if it’s right for you
- Decide what kind of investment you are able to make (time/money)
- Decide what your intentions are with your blog (hobby/business)
- You will need to decide if you want a free hosting or self-hosted
- Familiarize yourself with the blogging world by following other established bloggers
- Learn etiquette
- Learn blogging buzz words
- Start your blog – this is the easy part. It took me just a few minutes to get setup using Bluehost (WordPress is integrated)
- Create your blog – this was time consuming for me because I wanted it to be perfect. I did it over a weekend.
- There are free themes or premium themes (mine was a one time fee of $49)
- Build your blog using WordPress (integrated with Bluehost at no extra charge)
- Write high quality posts before you launch your blog (at least 10-20)
- Sign up to display ads
- I use Google Adsense
- Apply for Affiliate Marketing programs. Promote products you use or believe in! My current portfolio includes the below programs:
- Start promoting your website
- Social Media platforms
- Word of mouth
- Build Traffic to your blog
- more views = more earnings
- Pinterest is my #1 form of traffic
- Build your subscriber list
- make sure you have an email sign up form
- post often and on a consistent schedule
- engage with your audience
- Post new content in a strategic manner to keep audience engaged
- I posted 9 things to give trick or treaters instead of candy a week before Halloween
- I posted my hero was a hero to many – in honor of a great veteran, my father a week before Veteran’s Day.
- HAVE FUN! This is a lot of work but truly rewarding when you can write about your passions and help others. Good luck!